Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Green, green grass of home

Wow, I have been back home in Beijing for almost 7 weeks now.
A much as I enjoyed being back in South Africa for home-leave, the 7 week period was way too long and I experienced Reversed Culture Shock, much to my disbelief.

It was bizarre. I would accidentally bump into someone without saying 'excuse me'; bargaining with a guy in a shopping mall in Johannesburg; freaking out about living behind a trelli-gate; arming alarms when I left the cottage. I would end up on the wrong side of the escalator; going down steps on the right instead of the left? The folks were driving way too fast on the freeways and I felt like a weirdo in my own country.

Pretty much how I first felt when I came to Beijing in July 2009.

I did enjoy being at the ocean again; breathing in fresh air; not checking up on the latest air quality index and allowing the boys to walk barefoot. I loved the sunsets, the mountains of Plettenberg Bay, the sanctuaries that we visited and flying through the trees of the Tsitsikamma Forest. The boys had surfing lessons in Jeffrey's Bay during the Billabong and ate prawns until they were stuffed. I loved buying washed potatoes, going into a 'vegetative-state' in the produce section of Spar; being able to have 2 trolleys next to each other in the same isle, having endless variety from which to choose from...yes, a Beijing housewife's dream grocery store.




I





I did not enjoy the lull in my days. Rain, rain, rain and more rain. The 2012 winter season had the second highest recorded rainfall since recording started. Seriously?! On my Summer/Winter break?!




It did get better - when I finally saw my South African, ex-Beijinger, now Hamburg-er friend. I found an ally . We had shared similar experiences, laughed about the same weird things, discussed politics, the economy, the kids, our aging families and finally I could exhale.



Yes, it was a great feeling walking back into my home in Beijing.
And yes, the grass is all green in Beijing at the moment...and we've had about 10 beautiful days in a row...








Although I am relieved to be back home in Beijing, and being surrounded by folks who are in a similar boat, I know that one day that boat will have to dock and I will have to just get on with life wherever the grass has been mowed, weeded and mowed.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment