Friday, January 21, 2011

The trailing spouse...written 2 weeks after we arrived in BJ (12 August 2009)

Hi family & friends,
Thanks to everybody who has emailed and called during the last 2 weeks. Please keep the mail coming; and even though I do feel sad and cry a bit when I read your mails - it's really feeding me and keeping me going.
Day 13
Blue sky
35 deg Celcius
89% humidity
We are heading towards the 2 weeks mark in BJ. I cannot believe how quickly it has gone by already.
Apart from feeling very caged in on day 4, I'm slowly getting a new rhythm. I suspect that I was detoxing of not having a car that day - I miss the freedom of just getting in my car and going wherever I wanted. I do not miss those morning traffic jams to school, though!
Day 5 I decided to stop feeling sorry for myself and get off my behind and get out there. I had to put on the big-girl panties! So, the following day, the boys and I took a taxi and went to a South African restaurant called Pinotage, situated about 10km from us to meet other South Africans.They meet at the restaurant every Wednesday. Sadly, there weren't other kids for the boys to play with, so I'll go back once the boys are at school.
Pinotage is owned by South Africans and the food was really good - plus everybody's food arrived at the same time.
Doing the taxi ride alone with the boys was very scary because of the language barrier and that I didn't have a clue of where the place was.
At least now I've done it, I'm cured of the boxed in feeling, for now!
On my 'boxed-in' day, I was doing some research on a website about a Language company that JOY uses to teach their expats the language of their assigned country. Well, I came across a description of a spouse as 'a trailing spouse - that they have special courses for the trailing spouse'. Well, I was not impressed that I had been reduced to a trailing spouse! A submissive, honouring wife, yes. But a trailing spouse?! It did not sit well with me. Have I been reduced to a trailer? Perhaps a Venter or a Gypsie?
Back to the weather...
This week we have seen a record 3 blue skies in a row! We can even see the aeroplanes as they climb. I was wondering why if we are living close to the airport, we never see any planes; we don't hear them either. The windows are double-glazed and I'm sure sound-proof (if one gets such a thing).
We have spent a lot of time at the pool; my boys have tanned instantly and look great! Sadly the rest of the people here don't seem to be concerned about sun-damage to their skins - and I cringe when I see what they get up to. One little boy's skin almost seemed to be going blue - and he is a red-head.
I have met some lovely ladies who live at RG. The boys also had their first playdate. The mom who hosts it every week has twins with cerebral palsy; they attend a school but the school is mostly for kids who also have brain-damage. So she hosts the playgroup each week so that her girls, aged 3, can have interaction with 'normal' kids. She is a French lady, Emma and has an older son as well. She is a nurse back in France when she is not 'a trailing spouse'.
The other mom I met via the Beijing Forum and she figured out that her house is right behind us. She is just as lovely, has 4 kids and is a freelance journalist. Her hubby is here with the American Embassy. A lot of American Embassy people! Which is great because the security is excellent. We have a guard on our corner - in front of our house! And of course, with Americans, come A LOT of kids! They always seem to repeat 2 when I tell them that i have 2 kids! two?! you have 2 kids?With a drawl that irritates dear Marek!
Diego starts school tomorrow - and yes I am extremely nervous. International School of Beijing (ISB) sounds absolutely crazy! and i am so greatful that Diego managed to be accepted without much ado and without an interview. Another boy, Kindergarten - aged 4-5yrs, was refused because he was too shy! Another one because her handwriting was poor. Another girl had to go back for an interview because on her application form her mom had said that she had received extra reading lessons! She was accepted today; and now the little brother, aged 4 has to go back with the whole family for psychiatric evaluation before he gets accepted! Shucks! What is the school meant to do if not to help them with reading, writing, helping the shy ones, etc.
Well, we have a whole morning of orientation at the school tomorrow and a time slot to meet with the teacher to discuss our 'hopes and fears' for Diego's school year.
We are also going to buy Dante's school uniform for Dulwich College! He is so excited and I can't wait to send you photos of my little boy in his uniform. Diego's school does not have uniform.
We are hoping to move into our home by the end of next week! And typical - Marek will be away in Baotau and Tianjin! So, guess who's moving alone...again! Skippy! Plus Dante's school has postponed 1st day of school until the 24th because of a directive from government that people coming from overseas must self-quarintine for a week.
I am doing interviews this Sunday for an ayi (domestic help). Sunday? yes. Church here has been cancelled until October. Church is also refered to as 'Community Parties). The reason as I was given by a Canadian newcomer, is that it's the 60th anniversary of the People's Republic coming up - and the gov is being sticky. Also the reason why Facebook and Twitter sites are blocked! We want to visit BCIF one of these weekends - a big Community in the city- they have 'plants' all over the place, so will have to find one close to us.
We have signed the boys up for iceskating lessons! Can you imagine little Dante on the ice?! That starts on the 29th of August. The ice-rink is at our clubhouse - so no transport needed.
I am getting my wheels this weekend! Kyle and Meryl will go with us. Kyle speaks fluent Mandarin and will be doing the haggling for us. I've traded 4 wheels for a scooter with a sort of 2 seater at the back! Plus a normal bike.
The crazy sim-card that Marek bought me from a street vendor does not receive sms'es from SA. So now I have resorted to sms'ing via skype.
My dear Hubby is concerned that we won't get to experience the 'authentic' China. He says that even in the city he has people literally stopping in their tracks, turn around to walk back to where he is and just stare at him - and laugh! He thinks they are laughing at his grey hairs! No thanks, no staring needed just yet.
The next few weeks I will be venturing out more - as i will need to go find MEAT!!! There is a German butcher, Schindler, somewhere in the area - and he also imports his meat from Oz; my dear hubby is starting to miss his Weber and I can't wait to have his chicken braais again!
I am hoping to start Mandarin lessons mid September, so I'll keep you posted on how I'm doing as a trailing spouse!

No comments:

Post a Comment