Saturday, January 22, 2011

M2D2 Aliens landed in Beijing

We have arrived in Beijing!
 
Go make yourself a cup of hot chocolate before you start reading...
 
2 August:
 
Days in Beijing: 3
Weather: Today is the first day with blue skies! No haze!
 
We have merely swapped one Republic for another...No, not Banana Republic, but The People's Republic of China.
 
Thank you to each and everyone who have fervently been praying for us  - don't stop now.
 
We left SA soil on the 29th of July with 5 pieces of hand luggage and 6 checked in bags which came to 108kg.
Thanks Mandy F for suggesting Emirates to me.
First stop was in Dubai and then finally arrived 30th in Beijing at 14h30.
 
The Flight:
The boys did very well on their first long trip. Diego didn't stop playing games; and Dante, who looked like he was about to pass out at Jozi airport, was awake THE Entire flight to Dubai (7 hours) and only passed out as the plane landed in Dubai!
A sleeping child and 5 pieces of hand luggage between only 3 people was rather tricky, but hey, you just have to do it. Plus all the prams were taken.  We soon discovered that Dubai airport was rather busy at midnight! Plus, Marek made the mistake (by now Dante had woken up) that we will find a McDonalds! He used it as a trick to wake Dante. There was NO Way I was going to trek around Dubai's terminal looking for McD's, so, we settled for Burger King. Not that we were hungry.
 
Flight from Dubai (6 hours to Beijing) we had 2 babies infront of us. The one family was Chinese and the dad was singing off-key lullabies very audibly. I found it quite endearing that he actually didn't care...then, he was filming his wife as she was changing the baby's nappy.
The boys slept (finally). I warned Diego that his brain will get fried from all the video games. He slept the whole flight - and we woke him 30 minutes before landing.
 
The Arrival
 
The pilot mentioned that it was a hazy day - he didn't say HOW  HAZY!!!
Let's just say that as the plane lands, you don't see any green - just grey!!! Grey, Grey, Grey!
 
Touch down found me quite emotional, but only for a few seconds.
Then it was going through all the screening for H1N1.
At one stop, Diego coughed, Marek quickly told him not to cough (thank goodness for Spanish) and I noticed an official giving Diego a 'look'. I just smiled...smile and wave.
We walked through 3 of those thermal detectors.
 
A porter spotted us...all very official - no funny ones waiting to rob you.
He charged us RMB30 for all the bags. Then we found the Driver MArek's work at arranged to pick us up.  He saw all the bags and looked VERY worried.  He fetched us in a Buick GL8, brand new, and the boys loved it!  Dante wanted to know if it was our new car...not quite.
Then on our drive to River Garden, Dante had questions:
Is this China? Where are the Chinese People? Where are the Chinese sharks? 
 
Arriving at River Garden (RG), Marek announces for the 1st time that our temporary apartment is on the 1st floor!
He also leaves right away to the CBD to get his bag at Tom's house. Tom is the guy he is taking over from. So, he leaves us alone within the 1st 2 hours!
 
The sun goes down quite late here in summer, so boys and I will have to figure out a routine that works for us.
 
Zim beatles! Even in China we can't escape Zim! Walking around on our first day/evening, I was wondering about a very strange, loud noise that seemed to be coming from the trees. Marek tried to convince me that it was from the aircons in the compound...well, eventually I asked a friend and I was told it's some sort of beetle and that they are all over Zim as well. So,the Sibandas are here too!
 
The first night...
was as expected...Dante woke at 2am and asked for cereal. So, the coco pebbles came in handy. Dante was happy and proceded to wake Diego - who was not impressed and I woke in the morning with Diego in our bed.
 
Friday, 31 July...
 
Well, my dear hubby wastes no time in getting down to work. So, we had to wake early to get a taxi to go into the CBD.  He had a meeting at 11am and decided to take us with to meet the rest of the people he'll be spending all his time with.
 
Driving in to the city, I realised how pretty the freeway is...
They have flowerboxes on the freeway! Pretty pink flowers in flowerboxes! And everything is so green ( if you can see pass the haze)
 
He left us at the China World Mall and proceded on to his office with the promise to fetch us after the meeting.
Boys and I then watched kids iceskating...small little tykes and their tutors...
They are now very enthusiastic about learning to iceskate. We have a rink at the compound, so, I'm pretty sure that they'll be on the ice in no time. Dante, true to form, then decided to try some moves out in the mall! We definitely attracted attention. We got stared at just for being there and with Dante 'skating' around like a fairy...well, we quickly became the attraction for the moment.
 
Even the taxi driver kept looking back to see me putting sunscreen on the boys!
 
I've been told that being stared at is something to just get use to.
 
We proceded on to a grocer...just to check things out. A lady was in an aisle, offering some green strips of something...I politely declined (using body language), don't think Dante understands body language either, because he proceded to take from the lady, shoved it into his mouth and with the biggest grin told me that it's nice.
A few minutes later, we walk pass the lady again - though I must admit that it must have been another one - and this time she had Maki! Well, both boys grabbed a slice! Diego licked (always the cautious one) and decided it's not good; Dante again shoved the whole piece into his mouth and started chewing...well, I left with a child covered in pieces of Maki...so, seaweed is not great without the fish!  At least they are adventurous.
 
Then Marek phones and says that he'll get us at 12h30 and we're going out for lunch with a posse of seniors from JOY! If those men only knew...the boys had just about zero table manners - they were on such a high about everything; they ordered noodles and insisted on eating with chopsticks. The men didn't seem too phased and were impressed by their adventurous natures and that they weren't asking for McD's. Whatever business ideas they thought they were going to discuss...they hardly got in 2 words!  A word of caution...do not take your kids to lunch with the boss - I don't think much can embarrass my dear hubby again!
 
The apartment:
 
The apartment is very nice. 3 big bedrooms; 1 we have turned into a study; 3 big walk-in closets.
I now have a study! no more a shelf against the wall :)
Our house is also not too far from the apartment - about 500m.
The park is 6 houses from our house - not across the road and not 2 houses from our house - as I was told. Marek has become very vague regarding details (much like the Chinese). So, if you want details - I'm the one to ask.
The current tenants moved out yesterday, so I am hoping that we will be in our house sooner than expected. I think the landlord just told them to go as it is costing him money to have us in the temporary apartment.
 
Our first visitors:
Came bearing carrot cake! The wonderful Bailey family - Kyle and Meryl, fellow South Africans who have been living here close on 2 years. When I say that that Carrot Cake is the best ever - it's not because I am deprived and missing woolies (it's only been 3 days) it's because it is just simply the best!  The Baker has quite a story too...he is an American who takes in destitute Chinese kids, trains them in baking and cooking and they eventually go out on their own and get jobs at hotels, etc.
The bakery is not far from us,so I'll definitely find it.
 
Meryl also brought me the most thoughtful 'Survival Kit'.
She even taught Diego to count and Dante how to greet in Mandarin.
 
River Garden:
 
Definitely NOT the real China...more like a holiday (except without the beach).
This is the name of the Compound we will be calling home. There is no river, but definitely lots of Green!
It is a very molly-coddled lifestyle and one I welcome - especially after almost 9 years in jozi.
It is safe, secure and a guard on almost every corner...
Peach trees, guava trees, rose bushes, conifers, willow trees! Beautiful shrubs with purple flowers! Just green everywhere!
 
We spent the morning and late afternoon at the pool today.  Boys are loving it and I think that the pool will be our hangout for the next 2 weeks until school starts.
 
 
 
Transport:
Marek went to RG management to buy tickets for the shuttle to get to work for the week. The lady who helped him thought it rather strange that we do not have a driver! She looked at him as if to say:' you sucker! why didn't you negiotiate a driver!' So now I've been given the task to find a driver...they are quite handy and oh such a luxury, but very handy! I am still getting a bicycle though.  I cannot get pass the thought of having someone sitting in my driveway the whole day. I'd prefer someone take Marek to work and bring him home; the occasional evenings we have to be at school and the odd times I will have to go into the city.  Will let you know how it all works out...
 
Finally...
I hope to soon figure out how to insert photos into mail without crashing your mailbox.
Unfortunately Facebook is blocked in China, so, I can't even upload it onto facebook!
I also can't get onto my Skype until Marek un-installs his and installs mine onto this pc.
So, if you have a Skype request from marek, please it's me!
 
Well, we are anticipating our first week in Beijing. Marek has month-end this week, so next few days we will only see him in the mornings. I will be a housewife figuring out the next supper using only a wok and 1 deep pot (that's what's available in the apartment) and spending time at the pool! The cold December we had here last year is still very fresh in my memory, so, I'm making the most of the sun...
 
Until next time...
GB (figure this one out)
 
M2D2
 

No comments:

Post a Comment